Before starting to talk about positive parenting, let’s talk about parenthood and parenting. It is the state of being a parent that includes the responsibilities and the relation between parents and children. Parenting is a process of upbringing a child, raise a child, and educating a child from birth until adulthood. Parenting refers to the role of mother and father towards children. When we talk about parents it includes single parents, foster parents, stepparents, etc., and their parenting styles affect children’s overall growth and development. This write-up covers my point of view on how parenting can be done positively.
Seay and Colleagues (2014), who reviewed 120 pertinent articles came up with the following universal definition:
“Positive parenting is the continual relationship of parents and a child or children that includes caring, leading, communicating and providing for the needs of a child consistently and unconditionally”
Positive parenting implements differently in the different stages of the child. That is:
- 0-12 months Infant
- 1-3 years Toddler
- 3-5 years Preschool
- 5-12 years Grade-schooler
- 12-18 years Teenager
- 18-21 years Young adult
The aspects of parenting have changed in every stage of a child’s development because as time passes the child’s needs and requirements change. Their mind, way of thinking keeps changing. We should guide, council, lead a child according to their needs and how positively we do this that’s basically is positive parenting.
Tips For Positive Parenting
There are some tips for positive parenting which make your child behave well.
- First, make yourself physically, emotionally, and mentally strong. Parenting is not an easy task. So, if you want to enjoy this period, then you should be positive, be happy, and be a loving parent.
- Encourage your child’s curiosity and help them out.
- Encourage your child to be a good decision-maker.
- Focus on their routines.
- Be serious about their sleeping times.
- Invest your time in the child’s daily routine.
- Don’t ignore misbehavior
- Give your child simple choices to decide i.e. what to play, where to go, what to eat etc.
- When you are talking about sensitive subjects, be honest and direct to your child.
- Show affection and build a strong bond with your child.
- Encourage your child to manage conflicts.
- Use effective communication.
- Encourage and reward positive behaviors.
- Make clear rules and expectations.
- Make your child non-violent.
In a nutshell, positive parenting involves caring, guiding, leading, nurturing, unconditional love, open communication, affection, etc. Hence, positive parenting can be done by following these tips that help to make our child more confident.
By Yumna Ahmed